TinkerTool System is a collection of system utility features helping you in performing advanced administration tasks on Apple Macintosh computers. The application makes use of a self-adapting user interface which automatically adjusts to the computer model and to the version of macOS you are running. All options available in the current situation are accessible via “panes”, very similar to the techniques you already know from the System Preferences application. The features are controlled via a single window which allows you to use the application as a general toolbox and First Aid assistant.
- built-in maintenance features of macOS, usually not visible on the graphical user interface,
- extended file operations, not available in the macOS Finder,
- the possibility to access advanced system settings which are not visible in System Preferences,
- genuine and unique features of TinkerTool System, designed to resolve typical real-world problems of administrators and to fix the effects of certain defects (“bugs”) in the operating system,
- an emergency tool to troubleshoot and repair macOS in cases where the graphical user interface is no longer starting correctly or the user account of the system administrator has been damaged,
- functions to collect advanced information about the hardware, operating system, and applications.
Together with its sister program TinkerTool which is available at no charge, TinkerTool System is a perfect substitute for the following types of system utilities:
- Finder enhancers,
- Cache and font cache cleaners,
- Scripts to create bootable system installer and recovery disks,
- Tools to access hidden preference settings,
- Applications to make objects invisible in the Finder,
- Log file browsers,
- Application uninstallers,
- Single User Mode troubleshooting tools,
- Spell-checker dictionary editors,
- and many others.
Version 7.5 (Build 210824)
- Added new diagnostic feature to test display screens for dead or hanging pixels. It can also help to clean the display glass or when identifying dust issues.
- Added new pane to lock specific services of iCloud for all users, so a service can no longer be activated accidentally.
- The feature to retrieve logs from the macOS logging subsystem now uses color backgrounds in the reports to clearly mark messages of different severity levels.
- The user interface of the feature to search for file system paths that exceed a user-specified length has been revised. It is no longer necessary to press the return key when changing the limit, and the last used limit is remembered by the application. The quick-search result window can now show the complete paths and reveal them in the Finder.
- The user interface of all features to inherit Time Machine backups has been revised.
- For non-English versions of TinkerTool System, program and documentation will now use the correct terminology for Macs with Apple Silicon processors.
- Fixes an issue which could result in unexpected program termination after manually thinning, deleting, or creating a Time Machine snapshot.
Compatibility: macOS 11.00 or later 64-bit